The sun is shining and it’s time for a good old Spring clean!
Here are some of my favourite Springtime tips to help freshen up your home below:
• Open the windows. After a winter of closed windows and almost constant central heating, open all the windows in your home to let the fresh air in!
• Bring sprigs of flowering plants indoors
I love a few daffodils in a jar to add some Springtime cheer to your home! Or even better purchase a few potted plants which will last much longer and add some fresh greenery to your home.
• Enjoy citrus. Lemons can be used in so many ways around the home, they provide a fantastic natural detergent. For example, rub lemon on your faucets to remove lime scale, hard water stains, and soap residue. Or for a mild, stain-free bleach, soak your delicates in a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda for at least half an hour before washing.
• Light an all-natural, soy or beeswax, lead-free candle in a springtime scent like bay leaf, tomato leaf, eucalyptus, citrus, meyer lemon, and more.
• Clean the sheets (and couch cushions and pillow covers and dog beds for that matter)! Opt for an all-natural lavender or eucalyptus scented detergent and then top it off with line-drying in the sun.
• Make your own chemical-free homemade air freshener: Follow this easy to recipe to freshen up your home:
* 1 oz gin, vodka, or rubbing alcohol
* 6 oz filtered water
* 20 – 40 drops of essential oil, a few suggested oils are: peppermint, jasmine, citrus oils
My preference is to use gin as your alcohol and jasmine as your essential oil, but you should experiment to find a mix that you like. Simply mix in a spray bottle and spray around for instant freshness. This mix will keep well for at least a month.
• Line the closets and drawers with sachets of fresh lavender. You’ll feel more relaxed, and all your linens will smell ready for spring.